I have been working on a hospital list for a while now. It's been a combined effort of other mommies, in particular, my friend, Lauren. She has been such a huge help in everything from what to register for, what to be doing during my pregnancy to get ready for labor & baby, and, of course, what to take to the hospital. Every person is different and feels that certain things are a must to take and a must to leave at home. I have found it easiest to gather a lot of information from different people (blogs & magazines included) and to make my own list based on my needs and personality. I also wanted to be a minimalist...in this situation. I have heard way too many times about people who packed the entire baby's room and regretted it because they had to lug it all back home...with none of it ever being touched. We also spoke with our nurses during one of our baby classes, and they said that if we brought nothing for baby or mommy, we would be totally fine.
They literally provide everything. From gowns [I think it would be fun to have a cute one to feel really "perdy" in, however, they get so messy that they will be thrown away. I don't really want to throw away $...just my opinion]. To those massive ugly panties [yours WILL get ruined. Use the hospitals. I am taking some though for my last day to come home in.] The huge maxi pads that you'll need. [Ask for extras to take home...your insurance has already paid for these. Take advantage of the freebies!!!!] Anything you will need for breastfeeding. All diapers, wipes, and clothing for baby. [But, I want my little man to be super cute in the hospital, so I'm taking him some clothes] They also said to not even bring nursing bras, but I would like to control these honkers. [They also said to not wear wired nursing bras for the like first 6 weeks. Hmm...once again. If I'm wearing real clothes, these suckers are going to need more support than an elastic band.]
However, they did say to bring make-up because every mommy wants to look cute in pictures. Man, I love our hospital. They totally speak my language. :)
I just thought I would share what I thought would be pertinent to us and what we would want to make us feel comfortable during our stay. Remember...to each their own! :)
They literally provide everything. From gowns [I think it would be fun to have a cute one to feel really "perdy" in, however, they get so messy that they will be thrown away. I don't really want to throw away $...just my opinion]. To those massive ugly panties [yours WILL get ruined. Use the hospitals. I am taking some though for my last day to come home in.] The huge maxi pads that you'll need. [Ask for extras to take home...your insurance has already paid for these. Take advantage of the freebies!!!!] Anything you will need for breastfeeding. All diapers, wipes, and clothing for baby. [But, I want my little man to be super cute in the hospital, so I'm taking him some clothes] They also said to not even bring nursing bras, but I would like to control these honkers. [They also said to not wear wired nursing bras for the like first 6 weeks. Hmm...once again. If I'm wearing real clothes, these suckers are going to need more support than an elastic band.]
However, they did say to bring make-up because every mommy wants to look cute in pictures. Man, I love our hospital. They totally speak my language. :)
I just thought I would share what I thought would be pertinent to us and what we would want to make us feel comfortable during our stay. Remember...to each their own! :)
Hospital Lists
(I bought travel sizes of anything that could be. Almost every toiletry is travel size and helped tremendously in packing light. We are only taking one bag for all 3 of us.)
***I also have to get on my soap box for a minute. While attending our car seat check, we learned a ton of useful information in regards to car safety. We learned that ANYTHING added to your car seat completely voids the warranty of your car seat. This includes, but is not limited to, any toys you hang from the handle (this is while the car seat is in the base in the car. I plan on putting one on while we're at dinner or out shopping), a seat protector that you place under the car seat, any extra head or shoulder strap supports (if you purchase a new car seat that it meant for a newborn, no added support is needed), and any mirror that you add either to the car seat itself or the back of the seat that the car seat faces. We also heard some very sad stories about babies/toddlers choking on food while in the car. Our nurses are highly against letting kiddos snack in the car or even having a sippy cup. They can easily choke (problem #1), and you could easily wreck (problem #2) freaking out that they're choking. We highly intend on never starting the whole snacking while the car is moving thing. The sippy cup...there was a little boy who had his sippy cup in his car seat when his mother got in wreck. During the wreck, the sippy flew up and hit him in the face. He ended up with 400 stitches across his face and irreversibly damaged the muscle above his eye. It's so not worth it. Again, I'm no momma yet, however, these are our goals and plan on sticking to them! ...And off my soap box.***
I hope this hospital list helps you in preparing your very own list. Make sure you take what is going to make you comfortable and helps you to enjoy this special time in your life!
(I bought travel sizes of anything that could be. Almost every toiletry is travel size and helped tremendously in packing light. We are only taking one bag for all 3 of us.)
***I also have to get on my soap box for a minute. While attending our car seat check, we learned a ton of useful information in regards to car safety. We learned that ANYTHING added to your car seat completely voids the warranty of your car seat. This includes, but is not limited to, any toys you hang from the handle (this is while the car seat is in the base in the car. I plan on putting one on while we're at dinner or out shopping), a seat protector that you place under the car seat, any extra head or shoulder strap supports (if you purchase a new car seat that it meant for a newborn, no added support is needed), and any mirror that you add either to the car seat itself or the back of the seat that the car seat faces. We also heard some very sad stories about babies/toddlers choking on food while in the car. Our nurses are highly against letting kiddos snack in the car or even having a sippy cup. They can easily choke (problem #1), and you could easily wreck (problem #2) freaking out that they're choking. We highly intend on never starting the whole snacking while the car is moving thing. The sippy cup...there was a little boy who had his sippy cup in his car seat when his mother got in wreck. During the wreck, the sippy flew up and hit him in the face. He ended up with 400 stitches across his face and irreversibly damaged the muscle above his eye. It's so not worth it. Again, I'm no momma yet, however, these are our goals and plan on sticking to them! ...And off my soap box.***
I hope this hospital list helps you in preparing your very own list. Make sure you take what is going to make you comfortable and helps you to enjoy this special time in your life!
The "experts" really know how to freak out a new mom, huh? Seriously, no food or sippy cups in the car?!? Good luck! :) with a 1 year old and 2 year old and us being on the go all the time that would be a very hard task to accomplish.
ReplyDelete