Saturday, December 8, 2012

OWW: 4 months

Dear Owen,

I'm a little late in getting this written, but I'm thankful for that, as you've done some pretty amazing firsts within the last week!  You are at the age where you are interacting with your surroundings more and able to "communicate" with us better.  We know when you want something (you reach for it), we know when you don't want something (you'll hit at whatever it is), and you squeal with delight when you're happy!!!  And boy are you happy!  I know I always complain that you're fussy, and that's because you are.  I always swore that you had colic, and I still think that.  You are definitely coming out of it, but I always "walk on eggshells" around you, for fear of "setting you off."  However, you now really are only cranky when you're sleepy or hungry.  You truly are a joy to be around.  I'm always looking at your monitor just to see if you're awake so I can go get you to play! :)  I just can't get enough!  You're eating sooo much better!  I've just given up the idea that you're a schedule baby, and we just go with the flow.  I just have to wait until you fuss, and I know you're ready to eat.  It makes your feeding sessions so much easier, as you'll actually take the bottle!  You're definitely not a "force fed" kind of baby.  All these people that say, "Cluster feed him at night.  He'll sleep better," or "Just feed him every 3 hours, and get him on a schedule."  Um.  Have you met my son?  I don't think that is going to happen.  But we are in our little groove, and it works perfectly.  For the most part, you do eat every 3 hours and eat 5 ounces.  There were 3 days last week that almost had me searching Craigslist for nanny.  I thought you had been possessed by the devil himself.  You were not eating, not napping, yet sleeping great at night, and cried from 7 am to 7 pm.  It was miserable....on all of us.  I think you had started teething, and boy, did it hurt.  You were so horribly uncomfortable and everything I tried seemed to be ineffective.  It was the saddest, more heart-breaking thing to see.  Thankfully, we're back to normal around here, and it's fun again! :)  You are sleeping pretty great!!!  I do have you on a schedule for sleeping, and it seems to be working.  I'm not super rigid with it, but it gives me an idea about how to plan our days.  You usually wake up at 7, naps at 9, noon, & 3, and bed at 8.  Your naps could last 30 minutes each or 2 hours each.  You're so unpredictable.  :)  Your morning nap is the most unpredictable.  It really is the one that differs the most from day to day.  Your noon nap is usually only 45 minutes.  Your last nap of the day, I can usually count on a 2-3 hour nap.  It works out nicely, because I moved your bedtime from 7 to 8 this month.  Dr. Latta wanted us to start oatmeal cereal at night, so you usually have a bottle around 5 or 6, cereal at 7, and another bottle when I'm rocking you to sleep.  This past week, ever since we started cereal, you have been sleeping until about 5:30, taking a bottle, and then back down until 7:00.  It's been GLORIOUS!!!  Waking up twice at night still is slowly taking it's toll on me.  However, last night, you managed to wiggle your way out of your swaddle which woke you up around 12:30.  Boo!  I'm makin' that sucker tight tonight! ;)  Speaking of cereal.  You LOVE it!  It takes a while for you to figure out what to do with it once it's in your mouth, but after a few spoons full, you've got the hang of it.  You've also learned a new trick!  You can completely roll from back to tummy & tummy to back.  You're such a big boy!  You can also use your legs to push your little booty up in the air and bury your face in the floor.  It's way too cute!  You are also a pro at your Baby Einstein activity center now.  That's your preferred toy lately! You are still quite content with sucking your fingers and hands all day long.  I try to pop in your paci every once in a while so you don't learn to suck your fingers or thumb...which you've almost got down! Yikes!  When went for your 4 month appointment, you weighed 14 lbs. (25%) and were 26" long (95%).  My long skinny boy!!!  You are wearing 6 month clothes and size 2 diapers.  We have also moved you up to a size 3 Dr. Brown's nipple.  You started getting frustrated with the smaller size, and we knew it was time to move up a size.  It made a world of difference in you taking your bottle well.  Because you aren't as fussy anymore, I've been trying to get out of the house more.  I was starting to get cabin fever.  You have fun on our little dates, as you like to talk to everyone we see!  You're just too cute for passersby to not stop and chat!  You completely fill my heart with the craziest, most amazing feeling! It's this absurd amount of love like I've never felt before.  I get choked up just thinking about you.  We hug and snuggle all day long, and I love it.  You are so cuddly and now take my cheeks in your hands and pull me in for a big, wet kiss!  I LOVE IT!  You also wrap your arms around my neck, and nuzzle your nose in my neck.  I couldn't think of anything else that would make me that happy and joyful!  I'm truly grateful that I get to be your mommy.  You're simply the best!  I love you, boo boo!!!

Love, Mommy

trying to suck my thumb!


always sucking & biting my fingers!

found my feet!



rolling over!





caught someone doing their business! ;)

shoo shoo!

Happy 4 months, angel baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment